Thursday, October 18, 2012

God Is My Helper

Part of the "Devotional Thoughts" series. Go to the list of Labels in the right sidebar and click "Devotional Thoughts" to browse the entire series. Scripture quotations are from the English Standard Version.

=======

Read: Psalm 54 (seriously, click on the link and read it - it's "only" seven verses)

My study Bible tells me that David wrote this psalm "after being betrayed by the Ziphites (1 Sam. 23:19; 26:11)." This experience would certainly qualify as "trouble" (v. 7). I have never had the experience of betrayal at the hands of my countrymen (the Ziphites were from Judah, thus were David's countrymen), but I have certainly had the experience of God delivering me from trouble.

"Behold," David writes in verse 4, "God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life." If that is the truth (and I believe it is), what more is needed. The Lord who gave me and you life in the first place upholds it, and (take a moment to consider the significance) even helps us! When, in times of distress, we cry out, "God, help me!" - HE WILL!!!

This is likely not a major revelation to anyone. But there is a difference between knowing something and living in light of its truth. What might the latter look like? I think it looks like letting go of the ridiculous idea that I can get myself out of difficult or painful situations. It also looks like being patient, and having hope in the promises of God, like the ones in Psalm 54.

My desire is to be like David, and to know and to live in the light of the truth that God is my helper and that the Lord will deliver me from every trouble. May our gracious Lord help you live in that light as well.

No comments: