Saturday, April 13, 2013

Beautiful Inheritance

Part of the "Devotional Thoughts" series. Go to the list of Labels in the right sidebar and click "Devotional Thoughts" to browse the entire series. Scripture quotations are from the English Standard Version.

=======

Read Psalm 16. It is only eleven verses; it will not take long, I promise. I read it yesterday, as it was one of the prescribed psalms for Morning Prayer from the Book of Common Prayer.
 
This is one of David's psalms. The study Bible I have notes that it is an expression of confidence in the Lord. The stanza that most caught my attention yesterday was that of verses 5 and 6:
 
5 The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.
6 The lines have fallen for me in beautiful places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
(ESV)

I spent some time meditating on that last phrase: "beautiful inheritance." What might David have been referring to? Looking at the verse and a half before, it certainly could mean his present life, a life full of many blessings. It most likely does mean that, given the tense of the verb (i.e., "I have a beautiful inheritance," emphasis added).

And how true is that today? We have blessings both material and, for the Christian, spiritual - and in both cases, it is all due to God's grace.

What could be a more beautiful inheritance than God's grace and the gift of new life in Christ? We are in the midst of Eastertide, the season of celebrating new life in Christ. Have you received that beautiful inheritance?

No comments: