Thursday, October 31, 2013

Take My Voice

As I was driving yesterday, a few lines from the nineteenth century hymn “Take My Life and Let It Be” came to mind. These lines in particular (which are sometimes grouped together in the same stanza, depending on the hymnal you consult):

Take my voice and let me sing always, only for my King

Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from [also for] Thee
--Frances R. Havergal, 1874

And then this thought came to mind: How have I used my voice today to praise my King? Have my lips been filled with messages from or for God?


Men and women alone among God’s creation are given the gift of speech – and many of them, such as infants and those suffering from speech impediments, do not have full use of that gift. How have I used my part of that gift today to proclaim the Kingdom (Matthew 3 and 10), to proclaim the gospel of the grace of God (Acts 20), to proclaim Jesus Christ and Him crucified (1 Corinthians 2), to proclaim that the Word became flesh and dwelt among us (John 1), to proclaim the excellencies of Him who called me out of darkness and into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2), to tell of all His wondrous works (Psalm 105)? How have I used my voice today to sing in praise of Christ’s redeeming work (Athanasius)?


How have you?

No comments: