Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thankfulness

On this Thanksgiving Day, some of the things for which I am most thankful (and surely this is an incomplete list):


  • Naomi, my wife (pictured below)
  • Ed and Becky, my ever-supportive parents
  • Paul, my brother, Velia and Dorothy, my grandmothers, and my entire family
  • Gerald, my boss at Calvary (and Todd, his boss and our senior pastor), and Tony, my boss at Wheaton (and Michael, his boss and our dean)
  • Ana, Cassidy, Cheryl, Cindy, Collin, Danielle, Ellie, and Madison, whom I have the privilege of having as direct reports at Calvary and Wheaton
  • My colleagues at Calvary and Wheaton, too many to name for fear of missing someone
  • The privilege of serving on the staffs of these two organizations, and for all the invaluable kingdom-building work in which I can take part
  • The provision of new facilities for the Conservatory of Music
  • Friends from my college days with whom I can still talk by phone every so often, and the encouragement those calls are
  • First-time visits to four states in the last year (Hawaii in January, South Carolina and Oregon in May, Vermont in July)
  • The privilege of serving on the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Overture Council Executive Committee with Erika, April, Danielle, Elliott, Haley, John, Jonathon, Kristin, Belinda, Claudine, and Jessica and our ongoing growth and success
  • The generosity of many people, some of whom are at most second-degree connections, taking time to provide professional development advice
  • Timely and helpful words of wisdom and counsel from Derrick and Gayle and Kirk
  • The many thoughtful, reasonable voices, even with whom I disagree, speaking with charity and humility and using their platforms to inspire hope and determination in the midst of so much divisive, negative rhetoric
  • The relentless, limitless, abundant, and undeserved grace of God



I'm thankful for Naomi, my bride of 15 months and counting, this Thanksgiving

No comments: