Saturday, December 9, 2017

Music and Meditation for the Second Sunday of Advent

Sunday, December 10 | The Second Sunday of Advent

"Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus"

  • Words by Charles Wesley (1744)
  • Music by Rowland H. Prichard (c. 1830); hymn tune is HYFRYDOL
  • Performed by Fernando Ortega on the album Christmas Songs (2008 Curb Records)


Text
Come, thou long-expected Jesus born to set thy people free
From our fears and sins release us, let us find our rest in thee
Israel's strength and consolation, hope of all the earth thou art
Dear desire of every nation, joy of every longing heart

Born thy people to deliver, born a child and yet a king
Born to reign in us forever, now thy gracious kingdom bring
By thine own eternal spirit rule in all our hearts alone
By thine all all-sufficient merit, raise us to thy glorious throne

Readings

These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. You heard me say to you, "I am going away, and I will come to you." If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place you may believe. I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on me, but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us go from here.

John 14:25-31 (ESV)

Almighty God, who sent your messengers the prophets to preach repentance and prepare the way for our salvation: Give us grace to heed their warnings and forsake our sins, that we may greet with joy the coming of Jesus Christ our Redeemer; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever, Amen.

The Collect for the Second Sunday of Advent

No comments: