Friday, June 29, 2012

This Week's Big Topic

My Google Reader carries the feeds of the opinion pages of two major American newspapers, an international news magazine, and a conservative policy think tank. Needless to say, over the last day and a half, by feed has been flooded with articles, editorials, columns, and essays on yesterday's ruling by the Supreme Court of the United States on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare). I decided to separate all of the articles on that subject I starred from my regular "Articles of the Week" post, which will come your way tomorrow morning as usual.


First, though, a few of my thoughts. Most of the articles I read focused on one of two issues: the effects this law will have as the remainder of its provisions are implemented over the next few years (in my view, the short-term issues) or the effect that Chief Justice Roberts' opinion will have on future legislation and judicial decisions (in my view, the long-term issues). While my initial reaction to the news yesterday was one of disappointment (with regard to the short-term issues), after all my reading over the last two days, I am encouraged by the potential benefits of this ruling on those long term issues. I also have a newfound appreciation for how difficult it must be to be a federal judge, let alone on the highest court. In any case, while I am sure the near future will see much legislative activity on the issue of health care reform, I suspect the history books will mark this year as important in the development of the constitutional limits of the federal government - one way or another.


And now, for my selected articles, which I have grouped by publication, rather than my usual method of date. In addition to articles addressing the two issues I mentioned above, I am also including a few on related subjects (such as the important but as yet unresolved religious freedom question).


Chicago Tribune


Editorial: "Judicial Restraint: John Roberts' Deft Decision on Obamacare"


Editorial: "Unfinished Business: Financing Medicaid's Expansion in Doubt"


Peter Pitts: "Survival of the Fittest: The Evolution of Healthcare"


Christian Post


Alex Murashko: "Obamacare: HHS Mandate Redefines Religion, Say Christian Legal Experts"


Christianity Today


Katelyn Beaty: "Faith Healing: How Local Churches Are Stepping Into Healthcare's Gaps" [from This is Our City]


The Economist




"Obamacare and the Supreme Court: A Clean Bill of Health"


"Obamacare and the Supreme Court: John Roberts' Art of War"


The Foundry


Chuck Donovan: "Repealing Obamacare to Preserve Civil Society"


National Affairs

James C. Capretta and Robert E. Moffit: "How to Replace Obamacare" [this is an older article I came across and found interesting, though lengthly]


The New York Times


Editorial: "A Moderate Ruling with Risks Ahead"

No comments: