Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Community of Worshippers

That's what Wheaton College is. A community of worshippers.

Both tonight and last night, I participated in some very intense worship services. Last night was just new students, held in Pierce Chapel. In addition to being led in worship by the gospel choir and chapel worship team, the orientation committee administered foot washing to all the new students and prayed individually for us while doing so.

And not a day later the whole student body gathered in Edman Memorial Chapel for the first all-school communion. This event is held at the end of each month. The service featured intense worship, devotional thoughts from two students, and, of course, communion.

There is no question in my mind that Wheaton College aims to foster community. Some might say that the orientation is too long (six days), but I value each day I have had between arrival and starting classes to meet and spend time with new people and participate in several worship services. A week ago, there was only one person in my freshman class I would have actually considered a friend (that being Heidi Jahns, who also grew up at Calvary and was involved in Allied Force these past few years), but after spending time worshipping with all my new friends, I really feel at home here.

Classes start tomorrow, and I'll continue to be busy, though in more routine ways. But feeling at home here will probably even make that seem exciting at times. As one student leader mentioned tonight, even classes at Wheaton are an effort to glorify God. There is no higher calling, and I am excited to be able to do so as a member of this awesome community of worshippers.

This is Rubio, over and out.

No comments: