Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Gift Card

I would like to take a few minutes to reflect on one of the most ingenious ideas in commerce: the gift card. That little piece of plastic is quite an amazing concept.

Physically, a gift card is about six square inches of thin plastic, with a logo and/or design on one side and a magnetic stripe and fine print on the reverse. But within that piece of plastic are many things. They may be collectively called Options.

For example, suppose you have a Starbucks gift card, something that occasionally appears in my wallet. With such a card, your options include various hot drinks, cold drinks, and pastries. Or suppose you have an iTunes gift card. Now your options are limited only by your taste in music and movies. And Starbucks and iTunes are only two of a vast number of different gift cards available.

Then there are gift certificates, available from restaurants and independent businesses. Gift certificates make the possibilities even more endless.

Well, that's my discourse on gift cards. I don't know why that was on my mind while I am busy packing for college. Only two days, now. I may be offline for a day or two when I move in, so no promises as to when I'll blog again. Until then, GO CUBS!!!!!!!

This is Rubio, over and out.

No comments: